The Better Shorelines Program offers ideas and incentives for managing your waterfront property. We know that along with enjoying those beautiful views of the Puget Sound, shoreline properties can come with a number of common questions:
- Do I need to protect my shoreline from erosion?
- How do I manage shoreline plants – and views?
- What should I do with the water draining down my slope?
- Are there alternatives to bulkheads for managing erosion?
We’re here to help answer those and get you back to just enjoying those wonderful views. Here you can learn about free workshops, site visits, matching grants, and other resources to help you manage your waterfront by visiting our partner links below. Also, most Puget Sound counties and some municipalities offer tax breaks to property owners who take certain conservation measures on their shoreline, through the state’s Public Benefit Rating System. This can mean as much as a 90% reduction in property taxes.
At Better Ground, we’re about actions you can take at home to protect clean water & beautify your property with native plants. Our workshops are geared for homeowners living on freshwater streams, lakes and wetlands, but even if you’re not living on the water, there will be something for everyone!
- Minimizing pollution runoff on your property
- Controlling invasive weeds
- Utilizing native plants for wildlife habitat and erosion control
- Adding value and beauty to your yard naturally
- Learning about environmental regulations that impact your property
Contact your local conservation district to learn more!
For more information, also check out The Shore Friendly website.