If you’re considering raising chickens – whether you live within a city’s borders, or in an unincorporated part of the county – it’s important to know the following:
- Is it legal to raise chickens where you live?
- How many chickens can you legally have without a license/permit, and with one?
- What are the building and setback regulations in your area regarding chicken coops? Contact your city or county government for answers.
- Do you have enough space for a chicken coop?
- How many chickens do you want (how many eggs can you use every week?)
- What color eggs or variety of chicken do you want?
- Do you want chicks or adult chickens?